Just took three Common Law Contracts tests for practice, and I need a break to sound off for a second…
- Obama says it is time to eat our peas. They are careful with their metaphors, but this one says a lot. Wouldn’t the government love to think that they are our parents and can tell us what to do? Wouldn’t they love to think that paying taxes is good for us like eating our vegetables? Patronizing, this moralizing these people do to try and get us to do their bidding… Meanwhile, we are looking at death by debt no matter what taxes we raise, no matter how many rich people we steal from to finance the programs that are failing left and right, from public education to subsidized private manufacturing or agriculture.
- The same policies that led to such widespread default on mortgage loans are being re-established by the Obama Administration. Reckless forced egalitarianism, a central tenet of Marxism itself, is moving toward the mainstream in America, fueled by the media’s pursuit of class warfare. How far will it go until we realize that people are worth more than the boxes we force them into? The banality of evil is the road to hell paved with good intentions by those in power. We move ever-on toward the dreams of Obama: the elite ruling the masses while distracting them with tools such as race and class to prevent any resistance. The only catch is that some people realize the man is a liar, and more than ever people are questioning what a government truly exists to do.
- Related: “Apologists for Marxism[/state control] have made myriad excuses for their ideology’s failure to provide the same standard of living and liberty as was enjoyed in capitalist nations. Until recently, few have been so brazen as to claim that lowering living standards and curtailing freedom were the intended consequences, let alone that people would be happier with less of either. In that sense, books like The Spirit Level represent a departure for the left. Limiting choice, reducing wealth and lowering aspirations are now openly advocated as desirable ends in themselves.“
- Our parish priest, intellectual giant as he is, talked a few years in a homily about how Christianity and true humanism will become an enemy of mainstream thought soon, because it values human beings before all else. It is a slow prophecy, but it is true, and it might be moving toward America faster than we think.
- Freedom is not doing whatever you want. Free will is “the ability to do good.” You are no more free acting outside of virtue than you would be in a prison – the only difference being that the vice that imprisons you in everyday life is a prison you build for yourself. How many opportunities are forgone by those who choose drug addiction over pushing yourself to work hard to succeed in school via self-discipline and introspection? Your vices will determine if your future is a prison. Your virtue will determine if you are free to live an incredible life with more choices than you ever imagined.
- My dad had an idea a few years ago that he developed when in Singapore. Instead of having an overflowing prison population, why not allow those who are guilty of misdemeanors or non-violent felonies submit to public flogging? The idea is gaining traction. I have to say, though I am against force, coercion, and violence to my core, the idea is far better to me than sending some poor souls to rape factories where rehabilitation is ipso facto impossible. It would relieve us of the irony of having a man assaulted by a criminal having to pay taxes to pay for his nice treatment in an expensive facility with all of the amenities of a cheap motel, as well as the criminal’s tendency to file harassing lawsuits against the people who imprisoned him. It may deter as well. Yes, yes, the ACLU would have a heyday, but if it was offered as choice? I love the idea.
- The more you know about science and falsifiability, the more likely you are to reject climate change theory. It’s science. I saw this comment on a story about Al Gore being nothing more than a man full of hot air the other day on a climate change story, which I found interesting: “The Green movement is in disarray because it was built on a flawed foundation–one that could not withstand the most basic of scientific principles–honest review and validation of its theories. There is a reason that warmists work in secrecy, manipulate data, cherry pick proxies, conspire to sabotage skeptics, attempt to prevent criticism in scientific publications, ensure their peer-reviews are done by like minded ideologues, and embed assumptions in their models that ensure the outcomes they are seeking. There is a reason why the IPCC agressively used gray literature to substantiate their claims of global doom. There is a reason why the warmist ignore FOIA requests and are using every legal means at their disposal to prevent their data, manipulations, and model code from becoming public. There is a reason why CRU destroyed the original temperature data, ensuring that no one could ever replicate or validate their theories and findings–we would simply have to take them at their word. The IPCC is supposed to have been the gold stardard of the Green movement, yet it’s reports are so riddled with errors, propaganda literature, and political agendas that it has become a joke within the greater scientific community. The hockey sticks have been discredited. The IPCC’s claims have all been debunked as nonsense. The unraveling of the Green movement actually began with the predictions of the first Earth Day in 1970. The problem for people in the 1970s is that there was no way to disprove the amazing claims that seemingly respected scientists were making then: “We have about five more years at the outside to do something” Kenneth Watt. “It is already too late to avoid mass starvation” Denis Hayes. “Civilization will end within 15-30 years unless immediate action is taken agains problems facing mankind” George Wald. “At the present rate of nitrogen buildup, it’s only a matter of time before light will be filtered out of the atmosphere and none of our land will be usable.” Kenneth Watt (NOTE: Anyone know what happened to nitrogen killing us all?) “Dr. S. Dillon Ripley, secretary of the Smithsonian Institute, believes that in 25 years, somewhere between 75 and 80 percent of all the species of living animals will be extinct.” Sen. Gaylord Nelson (NOTE: that would have been 1995 that 80 percent of all species were to be extinct) None of these amazing predictions ever came close to being true. But each year brought ever more dire predictions of doom. IPCC report after IPCC report warned of the exponential increase in unimaginable horror for man and animals alike. The problem has been that it was difficult to investigate those claims when the people making them would not share their data and methods. You would think that if the science was settled to the degree they wanted us all to believe, they would not have hesitated a second to lay it all out on the table and demand someone prove them wrong. But just the opposite was happening. Try as they might to plug the leaks in their AGW dam, the cracks began to grow and weaken the foundation. As more data became available on the Internet, skeptics were able to begin to try to reconstruct those dire predictions–and they discovered that something didn’t smell right. The dam finally broke when Climate Gate revealed what many had already begun to suspect. The intellectual curiosity of many more scientists was piqued by the revelation of Climate Gate and one by one the scientific bases for all the doom and gloom in the IPCC reports were brought into question. Sea levels were not rising after all. No warming recorded in over ten years. The Arctic and Anarctica were not melting. The Arctic Ocean had been ice free before the industrial age. No increase in violent weather. We were told that our children would not know what snow was–yet we experience record snow falls and cold temperatures. We were told that drought would cause mass starvation–didn’t happen. Glaciers melting–no. Kilimanjaro–not caused by AGW. Increase in misquitoes–no. One after another the predictions were found to be nearly or completely baseless. Not a single prediction has been substantiated by independent studies. And many of these were not predictions for the future. May were clamities that warmist told us should have already occured before the year 2000. And the evidence against AGW being of any signficance is growing day by day. In a panic, AGW became Climate Change and every change in the daily weather report became the basis for proof that the world would come to an end if we did not hand over every dime we make to a world government to save us from ourselves. No, Al Gore had a lot to do with promoting the hoax. Al Gore profited enormously from it while it was popular. But he had very little to do with the collapse of the Green movement. The Green movement became a self-licking ice cream cone and billions of dollars in grants and studies fueled it for decades. Afterall, who gets a multi-million dollar grant to discover that everything is OK? It was and is their baseless claims that cannot withstand the light of honest review and validation that is destroying the credibility of the Green movement. Al just enjoyed the ride while he enriched himself. He was just a barker in the AGW carnival. Personally, I don’t think he gives a rat’s flying potato for anyone but himself.”
Good thinkin’s, eh? How about this one: “AGW is not science as its claims cannot be falsified. Projections of catastrophe come from mathematical climate models based on what is a poor understanding of all of the factors involved in climate and their relationships to each other. Many of the variables are left out or poorly estimated either because their impact is not understood, they are too complex to model (like rain and clouds), or because including them will not give them the their desired predetermined result that humans are causing warming. (And by the way, there hasn’t been any unusual warming for the last 10-15 years.) A prime example is the sun that the IPCC declared had no impact on “radiative forcing”, the mechanism by which CO2 is theorized to absorb heat and radiate it back to earth to make verything warmer -also anunproven hypthesis. The mathematical equations that are used to define the climate models are complex systems of non-linear differential equations. These equations have no deterministic solution. That is you cannot write a formula for,let’s say, the temperature as a computable function of the other variables involved. The equations can only be solved by approximation methods. Mathematicians who are expert in this field, say that the approximations have no chance of predicting anything with any degree of accuracy. Thermodynamicists say that the basic physical assumptions of the model are not valid. Other mathematicians and physicists have explained that the whole idea of a “global average temperature” is fallacious and has as much meaning to physics and in particular, climate, as averaging all of the telephone numbers in telephone books has to telephone networks. Gore and James Hansen, the primary cheerleaders for AGW, should be in jail for perpetrating this hoax on the world. For those who still believe in AGW, ask yourselves this question: If scientists cannot accurately predict the weather more than about three days in advance using the most sophisticated computers, mathematical methods, well accepted and tested mathematical formulations, and good data, how can they predict temperature, sea levels, CO2 densities, etc. 50 or 100 years in the future with these same computers, but with highly questionable assumptions, poor data, and untested and incomplete mathemetical formulations that modelers refuse to release for independent review?” My thoughts? AGW was a creature born of class warfare perpetuated by the media; a grassroots movement against corporations, one that got out of hand and lost intellectual credibility when the masses started cheering for it with everything they had while not knowing much about the science that backs it. Notice that if you deny AGW, you are labeled a fool and a coward, while the accuser of these things knows very little of the environment or the theories for which they are ridiculing you. AGW is a catchphrase designed to elicit one response: obedience without thought. Not my style, thanks.
- Contrast the merchant class with the TSA, and you will see the glory of human achievement in the market and the fact of coercive oppression within the government. And thank any merchant you see for subjecting himself or herself to the servitude of a free market.
- I am bothered when I hear about how “America is the best country on earth!” Of course it is, but you need to define your descriptors. Go USA!
- The government does not and cannot create wealth. It can redistribute (after taking some off the top for itself) or destroy wealth, but it cannot create. It makes the poor among us poorer.