I am not fearful, but I think this country is entering ominous times. Everything of late has been geared toward increasing the State’s size and power, and it gets worse every day. What do I mean?
- The bailouts and stimulus packages issued by the Fed, creating money out of thin air and devaluing the dollar to save companies that are “too big to fail,” even when it has to do so secretly. Now we are bailing out Europe as well. Unemployment hit 9.8% today, and yet very few MSM minds question the efficacy of the multiple stimuli. Within 20 years, the INTEREST ALONE on our national debt will be more than our entire budget today. We can live like this, but only for a very short period of time, and by deferring problems to our children (we seem to think that the ponzi schemes work well, first through social security and now with the entire system). The monetary world seems to be destabilizing at an incredible rate. Something must change soon, or the United States is in for a big hurt (though the amount of capital present within the country would make an all-out collapse impossible, a decline is almost assured if this is our new path).
- Eternal war for eternal peace. Is Korea next? Do we need to be engaged in warfare to keep this country going? It seems as if the answer from both sides of the aisle these days is a resounding yes…
- Net neutrality being passed and beginning implementation by the FCC. Though the internet has not shown major signs of monopolistic danger or abuse by internet companies, the government now wants it regulated. It is the Fairness Doctrine all over again, this time on the most democratic media ever to exist. Though I know not how this will play out, I have two possible guesses: Either corporatism increases and the government grants a few companies almost complete monopolies over the internet, or the internet itself is tainted by the inefficiency of government means. Either way, it ain’t good.
- The government setting up a so-called terrorist in Portland up with a fake bomb so that they can catch him. Is this the length to which the government will go to have a win in the War on Terror? They could not find a real terrorist who has procured his own bomb to arrest and try? It is not entrapment within the legal definition, but I find the FBI’s behavior appalling in luring a 19-year old boy – no matter how evil his intents and secret desires – into fulfilling a bomb plot. Are we that desperate to find a terrorist, that we will make our own now?
- The whole Wikileaks misadventure, where State officials on both sides of the aisle are calling for the summary execution of anyone leaking information that results in little but accountability of the government to its citizens. When what you are doing in the dark cannot be brought to light, you are probably doing something evil or shameful. This government should be accountable to its citizens, yet it is shielding itself from all criticism. Add in the cover of a highly statist media defending the government’s every move, and Wikileaks looks as dangerous as a civil war… When truth becomes treason, it speaks to nothing but our own corruption.
- The TSA’s unyielding position on its violation of what the 4th Amendment should be. Patting down babies and little old ladies for bombs, or requiring that they be seen naked is an indignity that the government should not force upon its citizens as if they are cattle. Are body cavity searches next? Is there any indignity or potential health risk we should not suffer such that we can be protected from terrorists, none of which, by the way, striking in the United States since Sept. 11, 2001. Add the fact that the TSA has caught no terrorists and it was the citizens that caught the Shoe and Underwear bombers, and it starts to become quite odd a scenario we are being put in. The terrorist monologue they are telling us cannot be abandoned, or all would be in vain.
- President Obama spending record amounts of money to visit other countries while the middle class and poor are fiscally bleeding to death.
- The continuation of our wars, the P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act, healthcare standards that have increased the costs of many treatments, failing social service programs like Social Security and Medicare, forced building, energy, and product standards to stop “global warming,” and many other current policies that have become grounds never to be ceded back to the people again. Where can we go from here but down?
Is this Administration entirely disconnected from reality or are they truly that bad? I don’t know the answer, but they make Bush II’s mistakes and warmongering look like child’s play with the havoc it wreaked on the economy. The people seem to be too stupid or lethargic to want any of it to change, which to me is the worst part…
I will be saying my prayers at night. I hope you are too…