Americans have their own religion, propagated by the media and political class. The American virtues underlying these commandments are self-interest, consumption, and instant gratification. These commandments are not to be questioned, and doing so will grant you an immediate label of idiot or dissident fool… From the Altucher Confidential (slightly paraphrased):
1. Own a home.
2. Go to college.
3. War is holy/just when sanctioned by the state.
4. The Constitution is not to be questioned (especially where it fails to limit government as it was designed).
5. Give to charity.
6. Without the FDA, we would all be dead [because of profit-seeking evil food companies].
7. Voting actually does something and it is your moral duty.
8. The two-party system will not be interfered with.
9. The media is the 4th branch of the government.
10. The “frontier” and nature is more beautiful than humanity itself.
Gotta say, #5 is a good thing in my opinion. Charity is hugely important, and I don’t know why it was included here. Perhaps just to point out that charitable organizations rarely give even half of donated money to those who they purport to help…
I can think of a few more, but this is a good start…