• More people die a year by coconuts falling on their heads than by shark attacks.
• The moon rises 50 minutes later each day. That’s why it’s up during they day sometimes.
• A sunset is usually more brilliant than a sunrise because of the dust that’s kicked up by the sun heating the ground, creating thermals. The dust then refracts the light and creates colors in the sky.
• Some south african frogs are known to change sex in a one sex environment.
• A piece of ivory can be shaped and molded once it has been soaked for a few hours in a mild acid like vinegar or beer.
• dill pickles light up when charged with an electrical current.
• “Light years” are only, actually, “years” relative to the speed of the observer (us here on Earth). Not because of the 365 day cycle of the earth we call a year, but because we’re moving at such a slower speed than light that we perceive time incredibly differently.
• Cats purr at a frequency of 27-44 Hz. This is approximately that of a diesel engine.
• A male calico cat is very rare.
• Futura was the first font on the moon.
• Mules can’t reproduce.
• Sharks die if you drag them backwards.
• Starfish have no brains.
• Your nails are made of keratin.
What’s the most interesting, yet completely useless fact you know?