Mostly economics today – Lew Rockwell-related especially…
- Ron Paul has assembled his panel for inquiry concerning the Fed, and means to ask why, after trillions of dollars spent, unemployment is so high…
- Heritage recently published 50 examples of government waste. Of course, I immediately thought “But private industry wastes too!” The difference is that the private entity will have to eat the cost, which will cut into profits and endanger the existence of the entity itself. The government needs not worry about such things, because it is the taxes collected by force that support its habits. Any program that does not work effectively within the government, despite waste, will be expanded until it does. What is being wasted is money you have no choice in giving, and that is why government waste is so much more destructive than private waste…
- China’s economy is all the rage right now in the media. But how true is it?
- The government cannot manage the economy as a matter of principle, so how in the world would we expect them to be able to do it in practice?
- Who woulda thunk: Fat kids are fat because they behave like fatties. I could have told you that without all the science-y studying…
- It’s time to legalize weed, Mr. President. The drug war itself lies on doubtful and discriminatory foundations in the first place.
- The food pyramid is not based on science (and as a government-propagated standard, why would anyone expect it to be?)
- Capitalism and Charity – if you ever use wikipedia, go donate $10 today!
- Education under the state is dangerous, and with the ever-increasing education bubble that means college grads will be working at Red Robin instead of holding a real job, Jeffrey Tucker notes that there is more to a smart kid than just sending him to the typical government-mandated school.
- Wal-Mart: Good or Bad? Let’s look at the numbers…
- He may have been better than Obama or Bush, but Reagan is not worth the celebration that he is given this week on his 100th birthday. Here’s another column on the same.
- God is not a liberal or conservative, but He might be a libertarian. Evidence: free will.
- Lew Rockwell:
- on Egypt. Note that he does not proclaim – as the media does – that this uprising will serve the interests of democracy, necessarily. It will, however, decrease the sphere of influence of the United States in the Middle East, which is definitely worth noting.
- on the empire and emperor of the United States.
- on Fannie & Freddie, and the socialization of losses, which endanger our entire economy and have been promoted by Republicans just as often as Democrats.
We have an inherent double standard concerning domestic abuse. If a man is abusing a woman, we rush to defend her. But what about if the woman is abusing the man?:
To me, this is why “equality” is not sameness. This double standard is acceptable to me…
Transhumanism means new ways of healing people who have sustained serious injury, like this skin gun being used to heal severe burns in only a weekend: